Olaf
Mitglied

Standard

Ich habe das an die nhtsa gesendet

Wir sprechen von einem ersten Problem!
Olaf

To:webmaster@nhtsa.dot.gov
Fromlaf.boehm@proxyshare.com
Subject:Imploding fuel tank on BMW E38 e.g. BM750 1995 high danger!
Comments: my fuel tank imploded like these peopele and BMW is REFUSING TO TAKE ACTION maybe they want so see dead people first! I can confirm that the fuel tank is imploding for underpressue and all fuel is going on the street repeated times becuase you refuell a lot to compenate the missing fuel! Please contact BMW imideatley about that issue. BMW needs to recall these cars and fix that imploding fuel tank issue Olaf Boehm This are reports from other people! Von:Allan Schiller (schillco@optonline.net) BetrifftMW 740 GAS TANKS ARE DEADLY!!!!!! View this article only Newsgroups:alt.auto, alt.auto.bmw, alt.auto.mercedes, alt.auto.parts, alt.autos, alt.autos.audi, alt.autos.bmw, alt.autos.german Datum:2001-07-03 21:37:03 PST Last month my 96 740il gas tank imploded and cracked discharging the contents of the tank onto the street. Yes, its hard to believe, but BMW gas tanks are flimsy enough to resemble crushed soda cans through nothing more than normal operation. After multiple levels of denial BMW corporate has acknowledged that a systemic problem exists with the ventilation system in these tanks and that the combination of any clog in the vent coupled with the pull from the fuel pump will create enough negative pressure to collapse the tank and crack it. As the tank is made out of plastic, it is flexible to a point, but beyond that it will crack and discharge its contents in a steadly and potentially deadly stream of gasoline. DRIVERS BEWARE!!! since the gas streams out of the rear of the car (and potentially in small quantities) you may not even be aware its leaking until someone throws a cigarette butt out their window at your next red light. If you or anyone you know has had their gas tank replaced on their BMW and was told that the tank was damaged due to a foreign object hitting it, (a sidewalk, curb or manhole cover for example) than it is very likely that you have been lied to. BMW has maintained a very low profile in this matter and short of abject proof will deny that this problem is even remotely possible. I too was told by my dealer the "I" damaged the tank. It was merely a coincidence that an independant mechanic noticed the crushed tank had not exterior marks or scrapes on it. I apologize for being overly dramatic, but BMW corporate is treating this matter no more seriously than if it were a defect in the windshield washer resevoir. THEY MUST BE REPAID FOR THEIR AROGANCE. As far as the fuel pump is concerned, there is no question that the 7 series fuel pump could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. I would have certainly expected from so great a car that the fuel; pump would have a fault shutoff safety. BMW's defense to this is based in ecenomics and a lack of bad press. It is truly amazing. Vonrett Anderson (gotomy@sitetoemailme.com) Betrifft:Re: BMW 740 GAS TANKS ARE DEADLY!!!!!! View this article only Newsgroups:alt.autos.bmw Datum:2001-07-06 20:09:59 PST Actually, what I said was the E39 FIVE series has a plastic tank, as do most current models, except the 7 series. No SEVEN series built, to date, has a plastic tank. All replacement tanks for all 7 series, built to date, are steel also. Plastic tanks were never used in any 7 series, past or present, but probably will exist in the next generation of the 7 series, the E65. Remember, plastic is a generic name. A plastic tank is not made out of the same stuff a coke bottle is made from. A coke bottle can implode, a plastic tank would take a much larger vacuum than the pump can supply to implode. The metal tanks, on the other hand, are just plain old sheet metal. They are weaker than your average fender or door. I've seen enough to see what happens, from just beginning to suck in under load, but release when you shut the car off, to fully implode to the point where the customer found the problem when the couldn't get more than a gallon or two of gas in the car. Beitrag 12 aus der Diskussionsgruppe Von:Allan Schiller (schillco@optonline.net) Betrifft:Re: BMW 740 GAS TANKS ARE DEADLY!!!!!! View this article only Newsgroups:alt.autos.bmw Datum:2001-07-06 06:58:40 PST When I had the tank inspected it was sucked in on one side with a stress crack along the center seam. Originally my mechanic not realizing the cause of the problem simoly resealed the tank with an epoxy type patch. After one full tank of gas and a days worth of driving the tank cracked again, this time both sides of the tank were compressed. It was only after I had beaten him up for doing a lousy repair that he told me that the cause was from within the tank. He repatched the tank and I drove it to the dealer with the gas cap off. Beitrag 13 aus der Diskussionsgruppe Vonrett Anderson (gotomy@sitetoemailme.com) Betrifft:Re: BMW 740 GAS TANKS ARE DEADLY!!!!!! View this article only Newsgroups:alt.autos.bmw Datum:2001-07-05 21:26:34 PST The story is true. I've seen it half a dozen times. Spiders build a web in the vent line to the vapour separator. The fuel pump delivers fuel faster than air can make its way into the tank, the tank implodes. As I said earlier, when they went to the plastic tank in the E39, the problem was the same, the symptom changed. The tanks couldn't implode, so the pump wiring connector (thankfully outside the tank) would overheat and lose continuity. Beitrag 14 aus der Diskussionsgruppe Von:Allan Schiller (schillco@optonline.net) Betrifft:Re: BMW 740 GAS TANKS ARE DEADLY!!!!!! View this article only Newsgroups:alt.autos.bmw Datum:2001-07-06 06:49:46 PST The spider defense is exactly what BMW advised me in my conversations with them. I personally have trouble believing that any spider would tolerate the odor billowing from a gas tank vent line. BMW, while not admitting fault is quietly upgrading vent lines on a need basis. Without further conjecture I would imagine the vent has been widened to prevent even spiders from taking up residence. No less, it is conforting to suddenly hear Brett acknowledge the legitimacy of my tale. I was beginning to doubt myself. Von:Charles V. Stancampiano (cvszd@zdnetmail.com) Betrifft:Re: BMW 740 GAS TANKS ARE DEADLY!!!!!! View this article only Newsgroups:alt.autos.bmw Datum:2001-07-07 04:21:42 PST Hi, With reference to imploding fuel tanks: The tank on my 1984 733i rusted and was replaced with a used tank a few years back. After the repair, I immediately noticed that the car ran out of gas soon after the low fuel warning came on. Last year it ran out of gas VERY soon after the fuel warning. These days it stops running just BEFORE the light comes on! What is going on? Is my fuel tank slowly collapsing? How can I unclog the dreaded spider infested vent? Should I just get a fuel filler cap with a vent hole in it? Charlie From NHTSA Web Site.
Olaf ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten